For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

From Naples to Rishikesh to Bali ~ Eat Pray Love ~ A memoir



I ask you, have you ever wondered to yourself "Is this all there is to life?" Have you ever been stuck in a rut or been hurt so badly and rebounded quickly or been so low that you thought you were going crazy? Have you ever been alone and unhappy but then found yourself in a relationship and just as unhappy? Have you ever wondered exactly how you were born into your family because you're so different? Have you ever wanted more than you have but you're not sure what that more is? Do you have everything material yet yearn for the simple life and internal peace and harmony?

These are some universal questions that run parallel in every culture, all around our globe.

This was exactly me four years ago at the age of 30. It was a clear symbol of the universe that I picked up a copy of Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat Pray Love" novel. I sat engulfed in every page of her writing for an entire weekend; mostly sobbing but just as often laughing. When I discovered this gem would be turned into a Hollywood production I was more than disappointed.

Let me tell you something. If any of the above questions ring true to you, you must head straight to the cinema and watch this screenplay. I was touched and shaken to my very core. My breath was taken away on more than one occasion and I felt my internal spirit soar.

I related to so many aspects of this story and the fact that it was someone's real life personal journey made it all the more astonishing.

I won't spoil it for you. I won't tell you more. If you've read the book, you will not be disappointed. It was exactly how I envisioned it in my mind. If you've seen the movie but not read the book, please do so.

Reading this book changed my life and how I look at things and myself, but seeing this movie has left me awestruck, content and at peace with myself, my journey and my choices. Trust me, it sounds simpler than it actually was.

There are loved ones around me struggling every day. We all suffer and struggle with our past or present and thoughts of a lonely future. One thing is for certain. Without a relationship with ourselves and God and a thirst to thrive and learn as well as make a difference, we have nothing but a house full of stuff.

I'm so lucky I could just cry. In fact, my husband felt the exact same way after watching this film. What's even better for me is that I know how the story ends up as I own the second book "Committed" which I have written about earlier when I first started my blog.

I've said it so many times before. Life is so hard and full of so much pain but we must go through it to get to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Eat, because you can. Pray, because you're thankful. Love, when you feel it.

Elizabeth Gilbert, you are my hero.

Goodnight.





1 comment:

Jean said...

I have not seen the movie or read the book. I did read an article about it and agree that Italy has the best pizza in the world. My favorite was in Rome beside the Pantheon. OMG the best.
PS...you are a fantasic writer.