For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Evil Eye



The evil eye. You've heard the expression before. Every culture has a traditional form of warding off the evil eye.

Italians do the sign of the cross with their tongue when they feel the magnetic force of negativity, envy or dislike of others propel towards them. Often referred to as Malocchio, this superstitious spell of sorts, has been known to manifest as a curse or misfortune to it's target. In South America, parents tie a red ribbon around their child's wrist or ankle for protection. In Turkey, you can find the evil eye pendant or symbol hanging in homes or worn as jewellery to fend off bad energy or negativity.

Similar to the Turks, Greeks ward off evil with a similar blue eye charm but they also believe that garlic is the key to one's safety. If one can't stand the smell of garlic, the alternative is to say "Skorda" under your breath and spit three times and if someone is complimenting you and you feel others' jealousy, you ask the complimentor to spit on you too.

As ridiculous as this all sounds, we all have our own quirky traits that usually involve mind over matter when it comes to safety and protection. I used to be afraid of my own shadow. I would sleep with all the lights on, a knife under my bed and envision a protective shield around me when fear would seep in my room in the middle of the night. I was told to walk taller and stronger, and that my bad and scared thoughts actually attracted negative behaviours. It's simply a law of the universe that your thoughts turn into your reality.

Then, I became so tired from lack of sleep that I literally one day thought to myself, if someone really wants to get me, they'll get me. Sheer exhaustion will kill me before they do.

Now, I wear my Turkish evil eye bracelet, and whether it works or not, at least I can catch my zzzzzz's.


No comments: