For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The information highway


Lately, we have been talking about what we used to do without the internet. My SD card was not working the other day, so I googled it, and sure enough found out why. My dog has itchy ears and has been scratching like crazy. I started searching for "my dog...." and sure enough, multiple scenarios popped up. Not only did we figure out what is wrong with the dog's ears, but there were home made remedies listed to help ease his pain.

I wonder when I lived in Toronto and needed to put on windshield wiper blades or find out ways to get rid of raccoons in my garbage, if I would have had a much easier stint had I have had a computer.

I used to get my eyebrows threaded for $5 in Toronto. On every corner there was a Persian or East Indian salon that did this. In Brantford, the closest place to get your eyebrows threaded is in the mall in Burlington. It dawned on me that maybe I could learn to do this myself. So I typed in "How to thread my own eyebrows" and was directed to a You Tube video that showed me how to get those perfectly angled brows you see some women with.

I have the same red marks on my face that I get when I go to the salon and get it done. It takes time and practice but I sure have figured out a way to save money, gas and time by doing it myself.

The power of the internet is extraordinary. I just don't understand what we did before. I do remember in school, having to get my mom to drive me to the library, try and rent out a book before someone else took it, and stand there photocopying pages to bring home.

I struggle with technology yet try to embrace the changes that are happening. You can't fight it so you may as well use it to your advantage.


No comments: