For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

I've had the time of my life.




I don't know about you, but there are moments in my life that are so distinctively vivid, I almost feel that I'll never forget where I was, what I was wearing or the smell in the air.

I particularly remember a lonely period in my life when I lived in a basement apartment in Toronto with no land line, no computer and no family near by. I had stupid boyfriends, random friends and an unfulfilling job. Sure, on the surface everything seemed okay but I was speaking with my girlfriend the other day, talking about life, and said I can remember sitting outside on my front stoop, smoking a menthol cigarette (how I crave those still some days!!) and staring at the stars wondering what the hell my destiny was and when it was going to be my time.

I never gave up hope because I always knew that something great was bound to happen; it was just a matter of time. Years later, I wonder what ever possessed me to make the choices that I did. I always felt as if I was travelling through the world with no exact plan or purpose like a drifting gypsy. Days would meld into nights and before I knew it, years had passed me by.

I'm not saying that I regret my past. My 20's were exactly what they were supposed to be: irresponsible, fun, confusing, reflective and above all evolutionary. I would leave the house at 11pm to go dancing until my toenails would fall off (not kidding). The sun would rise on a Sunday morning and I would find myself wondering where my weekend went, and who these random people were that I spent it with.

I always tell my younger friends not to take life too seriously. You spend so much time looking into the future that you truly can't enjoy the present. You cannot re-create your 20's in your 40's so my advice is to live your life like a madwoman who was just given 3 months left to live.
Find your inner gypsy and dance to your own frickken beat.

For me, I know that I've had the time of my life.

Have a great weekend!

Love,

Wendy


1 comment:

Michael Lewicki said...

Lovely! Well written and spot on! Because of you I have also had the time of my life. Because of you.