For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Monday, November 22, 2010

The art of improvement.




I came home one day after my first day in grade nine typing class in absolute tears. How in the hell was I supposed to remember "home row" without looking at the keys? I hated that stupid course with a passion. My baseball coach made me stay one practice until the sun went down, or as long as it would take for me to hit one ball. I bought my convertible Honda Del Sol without knowing how to drive standard. I didn't drive it for months because I was sick of stalling it.

Years later, I still hate baseball but I'm a pro at typing and driving manual.

I feel this familiar frustration creeping in with my photography. It is such a huge monster to master and takes years to become accomplished. I bought the camera less than two months ago, have filled my brain with as much information as I can, pestered photographers for tips and even had a few paid gigs.

In order to take things to the next level, I know I must first stop trying to be a 20 year veteran in 2 months time. I joined a forum today and posted some of my photos. The comments ranged from how I shouldn't be charging for photos as an amateur, to people doubting that I'm new and not tech-savvy based on my photographs. The latter was flattering as there were actually current photographers asking me questions about my style.

The truth is, you can't fake the passion, but the technical training I do feel is important for inner confidence and self approval of the final product.

So, I embark on this journey with the love of storytelling in mind and the reverie of stalling my red convertible in front of a car full of cute boys.

Only time will allow us the ability to reflect on where we were, and just how far we've come.

Here is my first photo with my new camera and one of my last so far. I've got a long way to go but at least I can this far see improvement.





No comments: