For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Extoggery



The definition of "consignment" is stated as such: Consignment is the act of consigning, which is placing a person or thing in the hand of another, but retaining ownership until the goods are sold or person is transferred. This may be done for shipping, transfer of prisoners, or for sale in a store (i.e. a consignment shop). Also commonly used in the drug dealing trade.

I chuckled when lumped together are such things as prisoners, drugs and designer clothes all in the same category. The English language is so strange!

Anyways, last weekend, I was with my husband and in-laws in Toronto and we had some extra time to kill before our mother's day destination. We headed to a store on Avenue Road called Extoggery, a consignment shop which sells really high end clothing at a fraction of the original price.

There is another location in Toronto in the Laird and Eglinton (Leaside) location however I feel the Avenue road location is fitting to it's surrounding clientele. Lawrence Park is one of the most prestigious neighbourhoods in Toronto. I was only fortunate enough to live there because I rented all those years, but a semi-detached home in that area could set you back close to a million dollars (with no parking or backyard).

I entered Extoggery as a consignment virgin and exited with an addiction.

The store is very particular in what they will sell. My father in law has some very high end shirts and ties and they would only take one Canali tie. In some cases, even the knocked down price was still inflated for the average spender. My husband has this quirk where he sees the original price reduced and will say "But sweetie, it was a thousand dollars and now it's only three hundred!!!" and I will reply "But sweetie, we still can't afford the three hundred!"

"It's such a deal! Seven hundred dollars off!!" he'll reply, as though that will convince me that we can't pass up this bargain. Men are so simple and cute sometimes! :)

This is not to suggest for one moment that I don't love to spend our hard earned money on things that bring us joy. For example, I bought a pair of Prada sandals, that were gently used. The "P" of the Prada is a bit faded so for now, only I will know that "Rada" was once the real thing. Michael bought a reversible Boss jacket, and a brand new Lacoste t-shirt. I bought a pair of gorgeous lined cream coloured dress pants and for all four of those items, it was about $200.

The brands that I stumbled upon were Coach, Christian Louboutin, Louis Vuitton, Dior, D&G, Gucci, Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, True Religion, Rock n Republic, Escada, Canali, Boss, Pucci, Versace, Laundry, Diane Von Fursteberg, Balenciaga and Prada (and there were tonnes more)

I'm normally not a brand maniac. I love Winners and thrift stores for the hunt of something original but when you try on a thousand dollar jacket, you really understand how expensive clothes can fit so different. The fabrics, the cut, the fit and style make you want to never shop at Le Chateau again.

I could have spent all day at this store and I think we'll go back; most likely not to buy something but to try on the clothes of the affluent, and for one moment, or at least a couple of hours, dream of being a celebrity, wrapped head to toe in luxury.


1 comment:

Cheryl Assivero said...

Wendy you are very special. Thanks for sharing the great deals out there with ALL your Facebook friends. I will definately be checking out Extoggery.