For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Friday, May 7, 2010

An anchored past



It's a rainy Friday and I've resigned from my job. I'm spending the first time in a long time by myself, in front of the t.v. watching Sex and the City re-runs.

I randomly chose Season 5 and watched Episode 1, "Anchors Away."

I've always loved this particular storyline, where Charlotte concludes that you only really get one great love in your life. Carrie decides that her one great love is New York City and it is threaded as an analogy to her boyfriend throughout the entire episode.

I remember being a single girl in the big city. My married friends used to feel sorry for me because I was still in the harrowing dating scene but I quite liked my independence and freedom.

It takes a person who loves herself to be able to go to a movie or function alone and I've done both. They say that strength is in numbers but I think that strength encompasses comfort of self. At the end of this episode, Carrie leaves the party on her own, signifying her sense of contentment with her "self."

I've got an amazing husband, some terrific friends and just a few particularly great family members but you can be lonely in a crowd. I always challenge my single friends to try staying by themselves for awhile, for if you don't feel the depths of despair on your own, you'll never quite appreciate the contrary as a couple.

Carrie quirks: "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were, to become who you will be."

All this is set to Otis Redding's "Try a little tenderness" which I'm grooving to right now.

On this dreary Friday, I challenge you to give yourself a hug, turn up the sound to the below and dance your ass off. Alone.



No comments: