For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Drake Hotel



I lived in Toronto for almost ten years and in that span of time, frequented many watering holes from full out 10,000 square foot nightclubs in the Entertainment District, to intimate lounges and pizzerias on College Street, and funky little discos on King.

I think a good portion of my disposable income in this decade evaporated into the crowded scene of Toronto's nightlife. And I loved every minute of it.

Often, friends or colleagues will ask me what is a happening spot to take out of town guests, or to celebrate a bachelorette party, or where a unique spot for a corporate function would be in the city of T.O.

One place that I always recommend whole-heartedly is the Drake Hotel. Nestled on a corner at Queen and Bathurst, this place has got the whole package going for them. It first was established in 1890 as a hotel and throughout the decades, changed hands from multiple owners. Leaping into the 21st century, there is something for everyone at this cool, artsy and funky venue. My mom came from out of town to stay with me one weekend and wanted me to take her where I frequent on the weekends. I laughed when the same woman who adores living in the country, wanted to join some friends and I at the Drake one Friday evening.

The dining room, lounge and rooftop terrace allow a wide selection of cuisine including raw food menu, brunch, and anything ranging from burgers to gourmet. The Mojitos are to die for and so is the vibe, giving the overall experience a fun, cultural and memorable evening. With a sense of urgency, I begged my husband-to-be at the time of our engagement, to agree with having our wedding reception at the Drake, but we decided that wouldn't be the most practical idea I've ever had. (But it would have been SO very much me) :)

And if you've had one too many, you can always check yourself into one of the 19 unique rooms of the hotel, where every room is different and boasts unique artifacts and linens designed for luxury.

There is a calendar of events lined up at the Drake and you're bound to run into someone famous, at this urban and chic destination.

Don't just take my word for it, you need to go!


No comments: