For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Daniel Merriweather: Soul + Motown + Funk = My perfect artist


I've got a thing for voices like this. Some have called me an old soul, because at 12 years old, I preferred Paul Simon and Billy Joel to New Kids on the Block, although I did do my fair share of following the pop idols. (Hello, Madonna is still my number one girl!)
My friends joke that I know every single word to every single song. It's odd. I can't remember anything short term like where my keys are or someone's name that I met 5 minutes ago, but a song I haven't heard in 25 years, I can rhyme off like I wrote it.

Around the second year I was living in Toronto, I became friends with a couple who were 15 and 20 years my senior, but taught me so much about the way of the world and I do believe I met my soulmates as elders. In the span of our ten year friendship, we spent many nights discussing vintage wines, politics, spirituality, fine food. Amongst all these evenings at their dinner parties, or cottage up north or funky restaurants was the theme of music; sometimes in discussion but always in the background.

They introduced me to someone amazing named Jonny Lang who I had the pleasure of seeing live at the Danforth Music Hall.
This guy, at a mere age of FIFTEEN years old, wrote and recorded one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard. It utterly bewildered me that someone this young could have such a hauntingly gritty and soulful voice, as if he'd lived through the trauma and experience that usually inspire blues music.

Similar in style to some of my other favourites, Robin Thicke (who so happens to be the son of Canadian actor from the t.v. show "Growing Pains" Alan Thicke), Adele, James Morrison, Joss Stone, is someone who I've newly discovered: Daniel Merriweather.

I don't know much about him but what I have heard so far, I'm in love with! I think you'll recognize these songs when you hear them. The first one, I could have sworn in the first two minutes sounded exactly like 80's star Kim Wilde ("Keep me hangin' on") and then I chuckled when I heard the last part of the song. The songs I have linked you to below are: "Stop Me" and the latest, "Red." "Impossible" and "Change" are also great tracks. I hope you enjoy them like I do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=S4kBr5WWiBM&feature=fvst


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1NCmDYeymo

1 comment:

Michael said...

Love his voice. Grreat find and someone most haven't heard about. Keep up the good work!