For the eyes. For the heart. For the ears. For the feet. For the soul.

Friday, February 11, 2011

A mid life crisis, already?



The other day, a male friend was confiding in me about liking younger women in the prime of their lives. I argued that women of maturity are sexier, and he then said something that walloped me over the head: you're old Wendy.

I read an article on the Yahoo front page a few days ago that said there are scientific studies that prove at the age of 35, the signs of aging for a woman start increasing rapidly.

Is 34 years old on the brink of old? I instantly checked the mirror for signs that my friend was right. Grey hairs? Check. Fine lines? Check. Tired eyes? Check Check.

I then did what any sane 34 year old woman just called "old" would do. I cranked up the music, had a glass of wine, did my hair and makeup and took some pictures (for myself) to prove him otherwise. Alas, my husband said, I am indeed old(er) than when we met. That's the thing about life. Time keeps ticking and if you're like me, you may not feel any different. You see someone's child that has grown so much, and you wonder where time went, all the while forgetting that if they are 10 years older than the last time you saw them, then most certainly so are you.

I announced to my husband last night that I had the chance to shoot a destination wedding in the tropics this year. He told me I was having a mid life crisis and if, in fact according to the stats, women pass on generally in their 70' and 80's, well he chuckled, I'm at about the middle of the road right now.

Could this be true? I'm not someone who tries to live in their 20's. I appreciated those wreckless, fun and confusing years for what they were. I believe in aging gracefully. I certainly would never wear a mini skirt past the age of 30. I abide by the rules. But I'm sure as hell not ready to throw in the towel and succumb to flannel pj's every night, bed time at 8pm and an absence of an intimate life. Isn't that what happens when you get "old?"

I'll never forget the movie Alfie with Jude Law. I simply loved this sexy remake of the 1966 classic. Alfie was a charming, attractive man who was always searching for someone younger and more beautiful. He fell in love with Susan Sarandon's character and she devastated him when she broke up with him. In one particular dramatic scene, he asked what this other gent had that he did not. She hesitated and upon his persistence, whispered "He's younger than you."

I guess age works both ways.

I am a 34 year old passionate woman full of fire, determination and love for life. My husband said he would never have to see another woman because I am 10 women all in one (not sure if that's a compliment or an aside to my many personalities LOL). I love to go dancing with my ladies, even if it's just for one night a year.

I'm old(er) but damn it, I am not old! Tonight, I'm gonna leave that 9 to 5 up on the shelf and just enjoy myself! To all the women my age, cheers to moving forward in life with dignity, pride, confidence and fun. We are not dead yet and nowhere near it.

Live your life off the wall!

Salut!


No comments: